The fine medieval town of Bansko is situated in south western Bulgaria at 925 metres above sea level in the foothills of the Pirin Mountains which is one of the most beautiful Bulgarian mountain ranges and is both a national nature reserve and a Unesco world heritage site.
Flying time from London is around 3 hours.
Sofia International Airport located 10km outside the capital is the most popular for Bansko.
- Direct daily scheduled flights are available from the UK and Ireland from several major airlines.
- Budget airlines lines flying to Sofa include Easyjet and Wizz where return flights can be found from below £50 including taxes.
- Distance to Bansko is 160km and driving time is typically 2 to 2.5 hours.
- Distance to Bansko is 140km and driving time is typically 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Thessaloniki Airport has daily scheduled flights from several UK airports. Distance to Bansko is 240km and about 3.5 hours driving time.
- Kavala Airport is mainly utilized by UK charter companies during the summer months flying from several UK airports. Distance to Bansko is 160km and about 2.5 hours driving time.
* Please note at this present time Greek car hire companies will not permit their cars being taken outside of Greece. Private transfers are not a problem and we can advise you on these if necessary.
Airport Transfers The easiest and quickest way to Bansko is with via a private transfer. Website link to Axeman Discovery
We use and highly recommend axeman discovery. They use modern, comfortable vehicles, are English speaking and will be waiting for you in the arrivals hall holding a board with your name on it.
Typical Costs for a oneway Transfer are -
1-3 people: 70 Euro's
4-5 people: 85 Euro's
6 people: 90 Euro's
7-8 people: 120 Euro's
Car Hire Information for Sofia
A number of on-site car rental companies are based at Sofia airport with booking desks in the arrivals hall. It is also possible to book car hire from a number of off-site car hire companies, these may prove to be better value and the representive will be waiting for you in the arrivals hall with a board with your name on it.
You may wish to consider the companies listed below.
* Many Bulgarian car hire companies will allow their cars to be being taken into Greece. If this is your intention you need to advise them at time of booking so they can arrange a Green Card.
Bus from Sophia to Bansko
For the more adventurous there is a bus link between Sofia and Bansko with regular services running daily. The Central Bus Station in Sofia is located a taxi ride away from the airport and the one way cost of a bus ticket is about £7 although there is a small additional charge for skis. The journey to Bansko takes approximately 3 hours.
Why not consider a two centre holiday, mountains and beach !
From Bansko the Greek Aegean coast of Kavala with its sandy beeches and vibrant night life is an easy 2.5 hour drive away. From Kavala you can also catch the ferry to the wonderful Island of Thassos, the crossing takes around around an hour.